- Project and Corporate Finance
- Banking and Capital Markets
- Foreign Investment
- International and Cross-border Agreements (Agency and Distribution)
- Banking and institutional financing
- Commercial and private banking, multilaterals, investment funds, financial institutions and other, including corporate loans, project finance, bridge and mezzanine loans and other types of financing
- Bond, notes and financial instruments offerings and securitizations in international capital markets
- Acquisition, integration and merger of companies and related activities
- Development, construction and operation of power projects, with emphasis on the negotiation and closing of the financing
- Due diligence and environmental compliance and international treaties, including climate change and clean development mechanism
- Emphasis on agency, distribution and representation regulation applicable on a case-by-case basis.
- Arbitrator in commercial arbitration
- Master in Laws (LLM), University of Texas School of Law (with Honors) (2005)
- Attorney and Notary Public, Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Guatemala (2000)
- ADR and Negotiation Skills, Loyola University (with Honors)
- Guatemalan Bar Association
- New York State Bar
- Board member – Arbitration and Conciliation Center of the Guatemalan Chamber of Commerce (CENAC)
- Former President, Energy Committee AMCHAM Guatemala
- Project Finance Committee of the NYC Bar Association
- “Benefits of the new Renewable Resources Energy and Tax Incentives Law in Guatemala” (2003)
- “The New Central American Energy Market” (2003)
- “IFLR 1000 – Agency and Distribution Agreements regulation in Guatemala” (2004) and biannual updated versions
- “Challenges of Young Lawyers in Latin America”, International Bar Association Jack Batievsky Scholarship recipient (2008)
- Guatemala and New York
- English and Spanish
Alejandro´s practice focuses in financing, banking, capital markets, commercial agreements and environmental compliance, with special emphasis in corporate finance of different types, project finance, mergers and acquisitions in commercial, industrial, banking, financial and energy sectors.
Alejandro has been involved in some of the most relevant financial transactions in Guatemala in the last few years, including 144 A / Regulation S private offerings in the international capital markets, power projects financing, acquisition of companies in commercial, industrial, banking, financial and energy fields, and corporate financing to Guatemalan and Central American corporations. In these transactions he has represented local and foreign lenders, including banks, financial institutions, multilateral and development agencies, as well as borrowers that obtain financing governed under Guatemalan or foreign laws.
As an attorney, Alejandro has significant experience structuring, coordinating and closing commercial and financial transactions involving different countries in Central America and in some cases Latin America, the Caribbean and other jurisdictions. Being admitted to practice in New York and after a few years working in the United States, Alejandro is acquainted with the common law system, with agreements and cross-border transactions governed by foreign laws that involve foreign clients and international law firms, and more generally to the legal American culture, methodology and work rhythm of such transactions.
Recently his practice has been complemented with active participation in merger and acquisitions of companies and banks, leading the legal due diligence, drafting and negotiating the transaction documents and certification of compliance with conditions and requirements for the transaction´s final close, including compliance with precedent or post-closing conditions, obtaining authorizations or approvals from authorities and/or regulators and coordinating between seller and purchaser during the transition phase to take control.
Additionally, Alejandro complements his principal areas of practice with environmental topics, including compliance and verification procedures and environmental due diligene, regulatory issues and international treaties on climate change and clean development mechanism, including carbon markets, environmental services and REDD. He has been advisor to public authorities, governmental programs, multilateral agencies, private sector, non-profit organizations and NGOs on environmental issues. He also is an active and frequent arbitrator in national and international arbitration procedures.
Before QIL+4 Abogados, Alejandro was a founding partner of 4Abogados in 2011, worked for a few years in Washington D.C. as legal advisor at the Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC – member of the IDC Group) and in a joint program between an international law firm and Conservation International (CI). He was an associate and partner at Consortium – Rodríguez, Archila, Castellanos, Solares & Aguilar S.C. and has been a professor of Commercial Law and Common Law System at several law schools in Guatemala, in addition to being constantly invited as speaker and panelist at seminars and meetings on topics related to his areas of practice, including subjects on entrepreneurship and young entrepreneurs.