- Banking and Finance
- Corporate and Cross-border transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Franchise, Distribution, Agency and Representation
- Crisis Management & Risk Mitigation
- Syndicated loan structures, Bond Issuances, Guarantee Structures and other types of financing structures and mechanisms, including offerings by the Republic of Guatemala, securitization and debt securities for private corporations in the international capital markets
- JVs and Acquisition of companies in the financial, mining, food and beverage, retail, agribusiness industries, among others
- Representation of Insurance and Reinsurance Companies and counsel on applicable laws and regulations, including authorization and license approvals by local banking and insurance regulator
- Negotiation and structuring of distribution agreements in the pharmaceutical, automotive, food, chemical, hospitality, retail industries, among other transactions, involving local and/or foreign parties
- Tax advice and structures, tax planning, tax litigation
- Strategy advisor for corporate risk mitigation and crisis management at a pretrial and trial level
- MBA Simon School of Business, University of Rochester, New York, 1995
- Attorney and Notary Public, Universidad Rafael Landívar, 1993
- AIDA Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances
- Designee Arbitrator for the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Guatemalan Bar Association
- CENTRARSE – Center for the Development of Corporate Social Responsibility
- Board of Directors member and advisor in several companies and institutions
- Spanish, English, French
Jose Quiñones has extensive local and international experience advising foreign financial institutions in structured finance deals, sovereign bond offerings in international capital markets, cross-border transactions and its tax implications, mergers and acquisitions and complex project finance deals involving local and foreign banks and financial institutions and/or borrowers. He is often retained to advice on business and corporate strategy, serves as advisor to boards of financial institutions and is frequently appointed as arbitrator regarding these matters. Among Jose advisory work, he also has acted as director to insurance and surety companies, and has been retained by insurance companies and reinsurance syndicates to advise on complex claims and reinsurance disputes involving agreements or dealings governed by Guatemalan or foreign laws.
Additionally, Jose is a Designee Arbitrator for the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), which is the leading institution devoted to international investment dispute settlement based in Washington, D.C. He has also served as director for several financial and industrial institutions such as the Center for Corporate Social Responsibility, the Guatemalan Branch of the Association Internationale De Droit Des Assurances (AIDA) and actively participates, pro-bono, in institutions that work for the transparency and advancement of the Guatemalan justice system.
Jose has acted as professor of law teaching commercial contracts and financial law at Universidad Francisco Marroquín since 1997. His practice areas include Banking and Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Commercial Litigation & Arbitration, Tax Strategy, Insurance, Reinsurance and Securities Law.
Prior to co-founding QIL+4 Abogados, Jose ventured into establishing Quiñones, Ibargüen, Lujan & Mata, S.C. in 1999 and worked for the Guatemalan judicial branch court system at a Civil and Mercantile trial court. He worked as consultant for an investment bank, and executive director for a Financial Group. He was an associate and partner at Falla, Silva-Peña, Viteri (now dissolved), a renowned law firm in Guatemala.