- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Agency, Distribution & Franchise
- Intellectual Property
- Syndicated financings and project finance deals in energy, manufacturing and telecom sectors, among others
- Equipment financing structures
- Bond emissions, including sovereign bonds, having acted as counsel to the intermediary/underwriter bank as well as the Republic of Guatemala
- Mergers and acquisitions, including joint venture agreements, shareholder agreements, strategic alliances due diligence processes acting for either seller or purchaser and other commercial agreements
- Corporate governance issues counseling corporations and family businesses
- Agency, Distribution and Franchise law issues, negotiating agreements and advising on termination issues
- Anti-trust counseling and advise to companies seeking to adapt their conduct and business activities to comply with yet-to-be-enacted anti-trust laws by Guatemalan Congress
- Master of Comparative Jurisprudence (MCJ) from New York University, New York, 1994
- Law Degree, Francisco Marroquín University, 1992. Cum Laude
- Guatemalan Bar Association
- New York State Bar
- Member and advisor to several boards of directors
- International Bar Association
- Fundación Crecer Guatemala
- Advisory Board of the Universidad del Itsmo School of Law
- Roster of panelists having been appointed by the Government of Guatemala as one of the 20 Panelists under Chapter 20 of the Dominican Republic - Central America - United States Free Trade Agreement (DR-Cafta)
- Guatemala, 1992 New York State, 1996
- Spanish and English
Marcos Ibargüen is actively engaged in the practice of corporate, banking and finance law representing international and Guatemalan companies. He participates in mergers and acquisitions, corporate and financial restructurings, strategic alliances and business law in general.
Marcos has advised several Eurobond issuances representing either the local issuer, including the Republic of Guatemala among others, as well as the intermediary/underwriter bank. He also has extensive knowledge and experience in Agency, Distribution and Franchise matters and agreements, both in negotiating new agreements as well as in dealing with the complexities which oftentimes accompany terminations of such business relationships. Recently, Marcos has been involved in the rapidly changing aspects of anti-trust law in Guatemala, counseling and advising companies seeking to adapt their practices and business activities to comply with yet-to-be-enacted anti-trust laws by Guatemalan Congress.
Marcos was a founding partner of Quiñones, Ibargüen, Luján & Mata, S.C, now integrated as QIL + 4 Abogados.
He has been appointed to the Boards of Directors of several important Guatemalan Companies in the areas of agribusiness and sugar production, electricity generation, automotive distribution, fast food and wholesale industries. He is also on the roster of panelists having been appointed by the Government of Guatemala as one of the 20 Panelists under Chapter 20 of the Dominican Republic - Central America - United States Free Trade Agreement (DR-Cafta).He has acted as professor of Civil Law, Commercial Law and International Business Transactions at Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Universidad Rafael Landivar and Universidad del Istmo and is currently the President to the Advisory Board of the Universidad del Istmo Law School.
Marcos is a founding partner of QIL+4 Abogados. Before that, he was a partner in Quiñones, Ibargüen, Luján & Mata, S.C. since its foundation in 1999, associate in Mayora & Mayora, S.C. between 1994 and 1997 and before that, he also worked in Quezada, Ibargüen y Escobar from 1989 to 1993, first as a trainee assistant and then as an associate.