- International transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- International financing
- Corporate structures & re-structuring
- Business and corporate
- Commercial & Entrepreneurship
- Acquisition, integration and corporate mergers involving national, regional and/or international companies with the participation of local and/or foreign investors, including obtaining required permits, authorizations and approvals by government authorities or third parties for the transaction’s closing
- Project finance with complex security structures and sophisticated financial terms subject to Guatemalan and/or foreign laws with the involvement of international law firms and clients
- Negotiation of Shareholder Agreements of local and international investors and corporate structuring including corporate governance topics under international standards
- Real estate project developments by using structures and schemes that help construction, sale and adequate administration and organization under efficient and transparent tax structures
- Master in Laws - LLM Vrije Universiteit Brusel (VUB), Brusels, Belgium (1997)
- Master in Laws - LLM New York University (NYU) School of Law, New York, USA (1995)
- Attorney at law and Public Notary, Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Guatemala (1993)
- Guatemalan Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Trustees of FUNDACIÓN PARA EL DESARROLLO DE GUATEMALA - FUNDESA
- Member of the Board of Directors of FUNDACIÓN VITAL VOICES – Guatemala Chapter
- Member of the Aspen Global Leadership Initiative (AGLN) of The Aspen Institute
- Founder, member of the Board of Trustees, ex-President of the Board of Directors and pro bono legal counsel of FUNDACIÓN PROYECTO DE VIDA - Guatemala
- Spanish, English and French
María Isabel´s practice areas include international business transactions ranging from a diverse scope of work including different sectors and industries such as banking, finance, commercial (retail), energy and others. Additionally, she has participated extensively in mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, joint ventures, international financings and corporate structures and re-structuring involving complex issues, usually different jurisdictions and participants with diverse nationalities.
As an attorney, María Isabel has extensive experience in negotiating shareholders agreements of both local and international investors and corporations including topics that have to be adjusted and adapted to the laws and practices of Guatemala, such as decision making thresholds, change of control provisions, minority shareholders rights, veto power, drag along rights, tag along rights, purchase option, waivers and other related topics. In addition, Maria Isabel´s practice also covers involvement in complex international financings, as well as mergers & acquisitions, and transactions entangling several jurisdictions with documents governed by different laws which usually include international law and auditing firms.
María Isabel has also served for more than a decade as board of directors’ member and advisor in multiple corporations, and has acted as professor of law on Commercial Law at Francisco Marroquín University.
Additionally she participates, pro-bono, in institutions that promote de development of Guatemala and the enhancement of its justice system and is part of the Aspen Global Leadership Network (AGLN) of the Aspen Institute.
María Isabel is founding partner of QIL+4 Abogados in Guatemala. She was a partner at Quiñones, Ibargüen, Luján & Mata, S.C. since 2000. She worked as an associate attorney with Bufete Olivero between 1997 and 2000 in Guatemala and as foreign attorney trainee (Fulbright trainee) with Husch, Blackwell, Sanders, LLP in St. Louis, Missouri, USA between 1995 and 1996.